Friday, September 26, 2008

Caldon Canal to the End


We turned the boat in this morning and was kind of sad to see it go back. Oh, lovely Serena, as that was her name. She served us well. Except for one minor grounding and a few dents in the fenders, it was a delightful trip. Only once was mutiny considered...when the captain insisted on trying to get me to work before I had finished my first morning coffee. When I say work, I mean cranking 200 year old gates open and closed on the locks. They are really, really hard work and of course, someone has to stay on the boat while we are going through (guess who - see picture). Also, just for future reference of anyone contemplating this kind of trip, the time to say "watch your head", is BEFORE you hear the crack of your crew's head on the steel hatch cover. It hurt like hell for about an hour and I think I lost some bits of my memory, but I'm over it now.


We are now in the lovely seaside town of Penzance in Cornwall in the west country. It is beautiful down here. We hope to go to Land's End tomorrow and then on to St. Ives for a night. After that, probably back to London before flying home on Wednesday.

No comments: